While I find it very important to include essential oils in the treatment, and wellness routines of adult humans, I want to remind my readers with pets, that some of what is healthy for us, is potentially poisonous to our pets. That is why I have chosen to collect a list of essential oils that you should never use with your pets.
The following essential oils are harmful to various degrees to your cat:
Orange (Bitter, Blood, Sweet)
The following essential oils are potentially harmful to your dog:
If you suspect your animal of any kind (including birds) to be poisoned by essential oils or = other substances hazardous to their health, take them to a vet immediately. You can also contact the Pet Poison Hotline at 800-213-6680 – which is available 24 hours a day.
Make sure you store your essential oils in a closed container. Animals are naturally curious and might be attracted by some of these interesting smells, so pet proof your home, similar to how you would child-proof a home, especially if you have young dogs and cats in your home.
- Lock up all essential oils, fragrant oils, and household cleaners away and out of their reach
- Spent some time on their level, by crawling around your home, and seeing your living quarters out of their perspective. Remove any dangerous items, and move them to a higher shelf or area.
- Keep an eye on your candles. Some dogs have been known to eat them, so don’t give them the opportunity.
- Make sure that you leave any medication within their reach.
- Keep a tightly closed lid on your garbage cans, and empty them, before you leave your home, to avoid temptations
- Remember that some people foods are poisonous to animals. Never leave leftover food in their reach.
Liquid potpourri or other fragrant oils are also very poisonous to animals! Make sure that they are stored on a higher shelf, even if they are in a child-proof container. Remember that dogs can and will chew through containers if they are either bored or curious enough or if the content smells good to them.
Happy and Healthy Pet Parenting!