I love zucchini season, which is right around the corner – usually lasting from June through August. We used to grow them in our garden when I was growing up, and that is when I first fell in love with the light flavor and versatility of this vegetable.
Health Benefits of Zucchini:
- Did you know that zucchini consist of 95 % water? While this explains the delicate flavor, it makes it also a perfect summer vegetable that is refreshing, hydrating and healthy for your skin, and muscles.
- Zucchini is a mineral and vitamin powerhouse. Just look at this list: riboflavin, Vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, Vitamin a, Thiamin, niacin, copper, manganese, and magnesium. Impressive, isn’t it?
- Good for your eyes – via vitamin A and lutein, Zucchini is good for your eye health, so good in fact that it might even prevent the formation of cataracts!
- Zucchini is low in calories, so you can easily integrate this awesome vegetable into just about any diet plan. Just don’t top it with too much cheese!
- It is very heart healthy. Here is an interesting fact: Zucchini contains more potassium than a banana, which is a very heart-healthy nutrient!
Because knowing that something is good for you, does not make it enjoyable to eat, I have included a list of some Meatless Monday-ready dishes, I found throughout the internet.
If you are looking for an entire book about Zucchini in all of its wonderful and healthy glory, I highly suggest that you check out Delicious, Light and Refreshing Zucchini Cookbook: Discover the Fantastic and Unusual Zucchini Recipes by Martha Stephenson.
Happy Meatless Monday!