Meditation is one of the core principles of mindfulness and has many benefits, as I have discussed before on this blog. But you can enhance these wonderful benefits by integrating the use of essential oils during your daily meditation practice.
How To Integrate Essential Oils Into Your Meditation Practice
- You can dab a drop of essential oil, that was previously mixed with a carrier oil, such as jojoba oil, almond oil, or a high-quality olive oil, by adding 3 to 4 drops of essential oil to 3 tablespoons of carrier oil. Make sure that you assured yourself that you are not allergic to either the carrier oil nor the essential oil beforehand.
- Add essential oil to your diffuser. My favorite diffuser is this model (enter link), which is inexpensive, yet very effective. Follow the manufacturers’ directions
- Create a room spray. By adding 6 to 9 drops of essential oil to a small 4 to 6 oz spray bottle (enter link here), and filling it with water, you can create a spray which in return can be sprayed around your meditation space, before and after your practice
5 Essential Oils To Enhance Your Meditation
- Sage: This is most likely the most common herb used to clear any space, from negative energy, which makes it a perfect essential oil to add to your meditation routine. This strong and warm smelling oil is also an anti-depressant, and mood-lifter, which can help calm and elevate your energy during your daily practice.
- Lavender: Also a very popular scent, related to calm environment, this oil does best with jojoba oil as its carrier oil, in my opinion. The flowery scent of Lavender is a lot lighter than the earthy sage, which many prefer during meditation. Eliminating restlessness which often occurs during meditation, this oil is very useful for those new to meditation.
- Eucalyptus: As with any exercise or practice that requires regular and deep breathing, meditation is not as easy to follow when you have a breathing problem, a cold, or anything else that reduces your ability to take a deep breath. This is a strong oil, so make sure you dilute it to a comfortable level. I only use this oil during meditation for the above purpose, otherwise, it becomes distracting.
- Sandalwood: If you are prone to repeat negative thoughts, or have an overall tendency for negative thinking, Sandalwood is the perfect essential oil for your meditation practice. This earthy, harmonious oil, helps you work on repetitive and disruptive chatter, by aiding you to relax and be present in the moment.
- Neroli: Aiding you with the release of fears, and aiding in the ability to be more self-accepting, Neroli is a powerful essential oil, with many spiritual ties. It also has many health benefits, such as the reduction of blood pressure, inflammation, and pain, which will allow you to enjoy your meditation practice even more. I highly recommend this oil to be present during your meditation if you have any chronic illness that might make you uncomfortable, and distracted if you are trying to sit still for a longer period of time.
I love working with essential oils for many applications and urge you to check out Aromatherapy to enhance your day so that you can discover and maintain your best self.